August 25, 2011

Sometimes I’m really excited that we live close to Chicago (and not just because I work there). I received an email the other day from a Yahoo group that I’m a part of, that is associated with the Ethiopian Community Association of Chicago (ECAC).

In October the ‘Ethiopians for Ethiopians’ group is going to be doing something pretty amazing….. On Saturday mornings for about 6 weeks, they’ll be holding classes and presentations up in Chicago (at an Ethiopian church). They’ll be having presentations and speakers, followed by socializing and tea. The younger kids will be meeting in the church basement and will get Amharic lessons, have stories and music in Amharic and have time to play together. How great does that sound!? While they’re doing that, the parents will be “enjoying discussions and presentation on a variety to topics, from Ethiopian history, culture, food language lessons to cooking and hair care demonstrations.” Each session will end with a potluck lunch and coffee ceremony.

TELL ME THAT DOESN’T SOUND AMAZING!!!!!

I don’t think we’ll be joining them this year as it’s right in the middle of us going out to meet our kids and all, but it’s something I believe we’ll pursue in the future. Culture is so important, and it’s something we want A&Z to know and to hopefully embrace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO. AWESOME. God is so good and faithful... even in the little things!!

Danielle said...

Oh my goodness, Jody. You are at such an incredible (and incredibly difficult!) place in your adoption story. I remember it so well!!!! I love reading about it and feeling your passion and excitement...and about the Chicago thing. Are you going to the reunion in a few days? Also, did you know our main Ethiopian contact stateside is a pastor at an Ethiopian church in Wheaton? Is it at the church you're talking about?!?? How crazy and cool would that be. Anyway, I look forward to talking more...

Love,
Danielle