A friend left the following anonymous comment: For someone who doesn't want to be known as the white couple with the black kid, you sure do make a big deal out of adopting a African child.
I wanted to clear the air. Never have we said that we, “didn’t want to be known as the white couple with the black kid.” In a post a number of months ago (yes, I went looking to see where this might have come from ~ and which also was deleted shortly after it was written), I DID write…. This past year I have been thinking (as I’m sure Boz has too) a lot about life with Baby Boz. What will it be like? How will it look? What will change? What won’t change? Will we lose more friends because of this? Who will become our friends because of this? Are we going to be known as the “couple with the black kid” on our block? Will we be talked about, and described as the “ones who adopted”…….
It was a post where I was writing out my feelings and wondering what was going to be. I am so sorry if you took this to mean anything offensive. Clearly we would not be adopting from Africa if that’s how we felt.
Have we made a big deal of our child being an Ethiopian? YOU BET WE HAVE! It is something we LOVE and are PROUD of. We CHOSE to adopt from AFRICA for a reason. So yeah, we’re gonna make a big deal of it. :-) We’re following our hearts and when it’s something you are passionate about… you can’t help but talk about it!
Also, let’s be honest…. Our little man being from Africa is about all we really CAN talk about. We can’t talk about how adorable he is, or his personality, or anything about him… because we don’t know who he is yet. So we are embracing everything we know about his culture. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.
I encourage you (or anyone!) who might take offense at what is said…. on our blog…. to either pick up the phone or shoot us an email (if you don’t have our number). Let’s talk it out.
Mary
6 months ago













2 comments:
Amen. Seriously. Thanks for dealing honestly with ALL of it.
I think we all "make a big deal out of adopting an African child" because we are PROUD that our children are coming from Ethiopia. Ethiopia will always be a part of our family, our lives, and our conversations because one fourth of our family will be Ethiopian. (in your case one third)
I think you are very brave to address that comment head-on. Good for you!
Brandy Wade
www.ourethiopiandaughter.weebly.com
Post a Comment