July 13, 2010

i Need to VENT

I find it frustrating when people don’t “get it”. More so when those people are friends.

A conversation took place last week that is still bothering me.

This person is STILL referring to our adoption as buying your kid – some people might be fine with that, but Boz and I find it offensive.

I was also told that our kid(s) wouldn’t really be ours. She was saying how her kids look like her so she and everyone else can see that they belong to her… ours won’t. Are you freaking kidding me!? Boz and I don’t have this overwhelming need to have a child that looks like us. What’s more important, having a kid that physically looks like you, or being a mom and a dad to a son or daughter who might otherwise not have a parent? Who without you might not make it?

Then of course, the whole money topic came up. So I told her that if your kids were stuck halfway across the world, wouldn’t you do whatever and pay whatever you had to, to get them home? Because that’s exactly what we’re doing. We’re trying to get our little man home. W-E-L-L. Apparently I don’t know what I’m talking about. Yes, she would do whatever but that because she gave birth to them. She knows them. Has a bond with them… ‘unlike you, who has never met your kid, have no idea who they even are… it’s different. Until you have kids “of your own” you won’t understand.’

The part that really upset me (as if this whole conversation wasn’t upsetting enough) was when she commented on how we wouldn’t have a kid to carry on our genes and our last name. That it all would end here ( I don’t know why this really got me – there was more to it, but there’s no point in going any further). I reminded her that we were adopting a BOY and that he would be carrying on our name. But again, it’s not the same.

How can you even get through to someone like that!?

My father-in-law was adopted. Does that mean Grandpa B’s dreams were crushed? Does it mean he wasn’t a “real” dad? Does it mean his name ended there? Does it mean these two men are nothing alike? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

We have CHOSEN to adopt, not because we can’t have “our own kids” because they WILL BE OUR OWN KIDS. Would it have been easier/cheaper/more acceptable to have done it the old fashioned way? Sure. But we have 147,000,000 reasons why we aren’t. We may not know them right now, but you know what? Boz and I are already praying for them and loving them! Adoption takes faith.


I know people don’t get it, and I feel bad for them. They’re missing out on something beautiful.

Adoption isn’t for everyone. I get that. But it’d be great if more people SUPPORTED those who ARE adopting. We have been given such a incredible opportunity and I just wish more people were open to it and accepting of it.

But you know what, enough crabbing. MOST of You ARE supportive! And I can’t thank you enough for your prayers, thoughts, actions and love.

I know this was a long, rambling, venting post. But I needed to get it out.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I love you guys, I love your son(s), I love what you're doing, I love your determination, faith, courage, and patience...... and believe me honey, from someone who has done it "the old fashioned way" 4 times now.......there is no 'easy' way to have a kid!!! Did i mention I love you guys, and your little man (men) and, can't you just tell her you're not paying for the kid -- that part REALLY pi$$es me off!!!!!! How does anyone actually think that?!?!?! Did she pay the hospital when she had a kid?? well then, whoa there miss fancy-pants....cuz then she "bought" her kid too........grrrrrrrrrrr

Michelle said...

I am so sorry you keep getting attacked that way! So frustrating. You are doing a beautiful thing...a called of God thing. Proud of you and Boz and your calling. Continue to stand strong!

Anonymous said...

=/ yuck yuck yuck! I'm sorry you guys are getting that kind of feedback from people; they don't know what they're talking about.. I think adoption is SO SO SO great and I cannot wait to meet your little Boz(s!)!!! I know I'm gonna adopt kids some day; that is FOR SURE! You guys are awesome and are always in my prayers!!
Love,
Danielle De Vries

'becca said...

the commitment you & boz have to bringing your son home is beyond-words amazing. and soon, he will be so in love with you for being his parents, bringing him up in such an amazing atmosphere of love, and doing everything it took to bring your family together. that's something this gal will never understand. and it's too bad - because you're right. it is beautiful. your choice is beautiful. and your love for the son you haven't met, yet? beyond-words beautiful.

Rebecca said...

Are you sure this was a friend? Because no one needs people like this in their lives!

Tracy said...

My husband says that "he would have had to punch her in the face. I'm a Christian, but sometimes I sin..." haha!!

Seriously - I HAVE three children. So I DO understand what it is like to have your own children by birth and the bond you have with them. And it is no less with this 'pregnancy'. My baby girl is somewhere on the other side of the world, and this is just the way God has designed for us to bring her home. Even if it tears at my heart to be separated from her.

I think the main purpose of our adoption is not to 'save' a child - but to 'save' the ignorant people around us from their shallow minded all-about-me thinking.

(and congrats on your sale - awesome story!!!)