September 16, 2011



In 21 days we step on a plane to begin a literal journey to our kids. We’ll fly out of Chicago at the lovely hour of 6:04a.m. – who wants to drive us!? LOL!! We’ll land in D.C., hang out for a bit, then board another plane. 7,192 miles later…. Saturday morning…. around 7:45 a.m. .... we will be touching down on Ethiopian soil.

We haven’t gotten our itinerary yet, but we’re praying it’ll go something like this: Get picked up from the airport, driven to the Guest House. Bring everything up to our rooms, freshen up grab our camera/video camera, then FLY DOWN THE STAIRS and back into the car, where they’ll drive us to the Transition Home. Where, behind these very gates…. Our children are waiting for us.






Wanna take bets on if that made me tear up? LOL!!

I try not to envision how our first moments are going to be. But it’s hard. I have the romantic idea of them running into our arms, and embracing in a hug that never ends. But I’m also a realist (well, sometimes!) and it could also play out like this... Boz and I stand on porch, anxious and exhausted from the 17 (+) flight (including the trip to DC!), a bundle of nerves, hanging on to each other, knowing that in a minute we are going to lay eyes on two little darlings that are going to turn our world on its head.

Then out they come sorta. I can just imagine the nannies shoo-ing them out the door. Into the arms to two very white people (LOL!), whom they’ve never seen but in pictures. Will they be frozen in fear? Will they know what’s going on? How much is running through their little minds right now!? Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself, that it’s not just OUR world that’s going to change… but THEIRS. Shoot, their world as they know it is about to come to a crashing halt. This is where my emotions are ripped in two. It BREAKS my heart that this has to happen, yet at the same time I’m EXCITED that it’s happening. I don’t always know how to feel. Is there a right or wrong way on how I should be feeling? I dunno.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Just came across your blog and how exciting that you are meeting your children soon! I bet they are just beautiful! The whole trip will be so overwhelming. We adopted our daughter from Hong Kong in January and are going back next summer for a little boy. I tried so hard not to melt down so that I didn't freak her out! It is just the most amazing and overwhelming thing you will every do! Have a wonderful trip! I would love to adopt from Ethiopia but we are in process with #6 so that may have to be it LOL. We'll see :) just don't tell my husband I said that!

Danielle said...

ooh the whole time I was reading that, I had shivers!! I cannot wait to hear all about your first meeting with your kiddies. I think no matter how you envision it, nothing will do it justice! As for how you should be feeling, I just can't help but think that because God planned this all out, the world these children are going to enter is going to be SO SO much great than what they ever could imagine, and though it will be hard for them at first, because God's hand is all over, it cant be long until they see how great this new life is that they've been given, and of course how great you two are :)

Anonymous said...

I HOPE your first day goes that well. I think everyone in our travel group had a great first day...except us. For the first 3 days Simon screamed bloody murder for almost an hour while I held him. Jeremiah was totally fine and loved playing with his daddy. Whatever experience you have, it will just be wonderful to be able to hold them...either consoling them or just loving on them. :-)

Carmen

Debb said...

Oh, Jodes! I cannot even express to you the flood of emotions that flow through you during those last few seconds as you wait for them to come out to meet you!!! SUCH AMAZING BEAUTIFUL FEELINGS!!!! I think it is great that you are open to whatever happens with that first meeting. However it goes, remember that YOU and BOZ are the very ones chosen to love your children, and NOTHING can make you doubt that!!!! These children will be so BLESSED by their mommy and daddy, just as you guys will be eternally BLESSED to be their parents! CANNOT WAIT to see the meeting day pics!!!!! Still have the chills reading your post gave me! You are about to create such amazing memories with your kiddos!!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!