December 10, 2010


I don’t know how things have been at your place, but the flu bug struck us a few days ago… and it hit HARD! Sounds like it hit a majority of my family ~ we had all gotten together for St. Nicholas’ Day and 13 of the 18 people came with the NASTY, NASTY bug. At first we thought it might have been food poisoning, but the more we thought about it, we realized no one ate the same thing. So that was out. Then I heard another good friend of mine had the same thing. Guess it was just a NASTY bug.

Why am I telling you this? Because it made me think. I kept thinking about how our poor little boy must feel when he’s sick. Only he doesn’t have someone there to take care of him. No one to hold his hand…. rub his back….. or tell him it’ll be okay. No one to run to the drug store (they don’t have a CVS or Walgreens on every other corner) when he needs something for his tummy, or his throat, or his nose…. Right now he’s alone in an orphanage. I don’t know about you, but just the word drudges up some awful visuals.

Orphanage: an institution for the housing and care of orphans.

That’s SAD. The fact that there even needs to be such a place is WRONG. Over those two days I kept thinking of my little man. Kept praying for him. Praying he has a special connection with one of the nannies there, praying that someone is loving on him until we can get there. Praying for his health and for the health of those around him. As I witnessed firsthand, a bug can spread like MAD! We also know this to be true by the number of infections our kids have been getting while at the transition home. There have been countless Upper Respitory Infections going around ~ some have had it for the 5th time now! Not to mention ear infections and the like. I can’t help but feel bad for these kids. I know their nannies are doing everything they can to keep them comfortable, but it’s not an ideal situation. These kids need to be HOME.... with their PARENTS.

In other news:
I know the day isn’t over, but it looks like we might be heading into week number two with NO REFERRALS. Please join me in praying for some HUGE MOVEMENT and for the floodgates of referrals to BURST OPEN!

2 comments:

The Davidsons said...

Jody - I never really thought about how sad it would feel to be alone as a child and feeling so sick. I'll remember this post though when our sweet boy finally makes it home and I'm up caring for him in the middle of the night when he doesn't feel well.

Kelly said...

I love to hear of other families that celebrate St. Nicholas day. I am getting ready to post our pictures from our celebration! My heart agrees with you on the children who have no "extras" when they are sick. Praying for many, many referrals in the new year!